5th October 2021
The Southland Harness Awards were scheduled to be held tonight at the Ascot Park Hotel. However unfortunately due to current Covid 19 restrictions being at Level Two, the Southland Awards Committee has cancelled the event and made the decision to release the Award results on this website at 8pm on Tuesday 5th October.
So here we go!!
Southland Horse of the Year 2021
Finalists: Pembrook Playboy, Ragazzo Mach, Vintage Cheddar and Watch Me Now.
Winner: Pembrook Playboy
- Ran third in the Group Three Superstars at Addington behind Self Assured and Amazing Dream.
- Won the Group Three Northern Southland Cup in a race, track, and Southland record.
- Won the Group Three Summer Cup at Addington, beating Self Assured and The Fixer.
- Other wins included the Group Three Invercargill Cup and the Group Three Central Otago Cup at Winton in which he beat Classie Brigade and Watch Me Now.
- He ended his season by running third in the Listed Uncut Gems in Auckland.
- He was the leading Southland trained stake earner, banking $107,375 for owner Chris Alcock.
Southland Broodmare of the Year 2021
Finalists: Glenburn Jewel, Kylie Ree, Mach N Elle and Southwind Arden.
Winner: Southwind Arden
- The Bettor’s Delight mare’s progeny was headlined by Somebeachsomewhere entire South Coast Arden. He impressively won a double at Addington before heading to the Harness Jewels at Cambridge where he bravely won the Group One Four-Year-Old Emerald in a super time of 1-51.6. This season (August 2020-July 2021) he won six of his thirteen starts and $122,558 for northern trainer Brent Mangos.
- Southwind Arden’s other foal to race was Platinum Stride which won three races this season and ran third in the Group One VHRC Caduceus Three-Year-Old Classic at Melton. He won $27,061 during the season.
John and Judy Stiven from Arden Lodge
NB: This is the fifth time the Stiven family has won this award. Their other Southland Broodmare of the Year winners were Arden Regal (2003), Arden’s Dream (2008), Winter Rose (2012) and Tosca Hanover (2016). Southwind Arden is a daughter of Winter Rose.
Southland Achievement of The Year 2021:
Finalists: Chelsea Faithful, John and Katrina Price, Kirstin Barclay, and Nathan Williamson.
Winner: Nathan Williamson:
- Drove his 900th winner during the season under review.
- Trained three runners at the Harness Jewels
- Won the Southland Driver of the Year Premiership for the 13th consecutive year. Finished in the Top Five in the New Zealand Drivers Premiership (August 2020-July 2021).
- Won the Southland Trainers Premiership with the most wins and the highest stake ever recorded by a Southland based trainer. Finished in the Top Five in the New Zealand Trainers Premiership (August 2020-July 2021).
- NB: Nathan Williamson also won this award in 2013 when it was titled Southland Harness Personality of the Year.
Contribution to Southland Harness Racing Award:
- Stud master at Southland’s largest harness racing nursery – Macca Lodge.
- Bred, raced, and trained quality mares Jamie (7 wins) and Bonnie Lass (10 wins)
- Has been a trainer since 1993, training 53 winners.
- Was Southland Harness Awards 2012 Personality of the Year.
- Committee member of the Northern Southland Trotting Club.
- Co-breeder of Group One and New Zealand record holder Watch Me Now.
- Macca Lodge is a major sponsor of Southern Harness meetings including co-sponsor of the Southland Oaks.
- Also sponsors the South of the Waitaki race during Cup Week in Christchurch.
Southland Standardbred Breeders Awards:
Two-Year-Old Filly of the Year: Nutcracker (P and BR Duffy) – Trainer: Craig Ferguson.
Three-Year-Old Filly of the Year: Tac Mac (C R Dixon, Mrs A M Barron-Dixon, D J Orr, Mrs J M Orr, M A Tempelman, L Tempelman, P F Forde, J G Wilks) – Trainer: Brent Shirley.
Aged Race Mare of the Year: Watch Me Now (S H Sloan, Mrs C M Sloan, B R Sloan, Mrs J K Sloan, Mrs H A Gibb, A J Gibb) – Trainers: Kirstin Barclay and Tank Ellis.
Watch Me Now
- Amazing Dream (Vin and Daphne Devery): 1st Group One Free for All – Addington 26th March 2021, 1st Group Two Premier Mares Classic – Addington – 29th January 2021, 1st Group One Auckland Cup – Auckland – 31st December 2021, 1st Group Three Northern Breeders Stakes – Auckland – 4th December 2020 and 1st Group One Nevele R Fillies Series Final – Addington – 10th November 2020.
- Nutcracker (Paul and Brendan Duffy): 1st Group Three Caduceus Club of Southland/Alabar Fillies Classic – Invercargill 13th March 2021.
- One Apollo (Lex and the estate of Heather Williams): 1st Group Three DG Jones Memorial Trotting Cup – Banks Peninsula – 27th September 2020 and 1st Group Three Southern Lights – Northern Southland – 31st March 2021.
- Play Philly (Mark and Pauline O’Connor): 1st Group Three Leonard Memorial Stakes – Cheviot – 7th March 2021.
- South Coast Arden (John Stiven): 1st Group One Four-Year-Old Emerald – Cambridge – 6th June 2021.
- Vintage Cheddar (Ian and Lindsay Thompson): 1st Group Three New Zealand Junior Free for All – Addington 10th November 2021.
- Watch Me Now (Brent McIntyre): 1st Group One New Zealand Breeders Stakes – Addington 12th February 2021.
- Emma Frost (Bill Keeler): 1st Group Three Northern Trotting Stakes – Auckland – 26th February 2021.
NB: These Group Certificates will be presented at the annual HRNZ awards.
New Zealand Record Holders:
- Splash Cola 2-30.6 – 5th February 2021 – 2000 metre stand – Addington (IW Hunter) – Trainer RW Todd.
- Watch Me Now 3-97.2 – 12th February 2021 – 2600 metre mobile – Addington (S H Sloan, Mrs C M Sloan, B R Sloan, Mrs J K Sloan, Mrs H A Gibb, A J Gibb) – Trainers: Kirstin Barclay and Tank Ellis.
Watch Me Now in record breaking form at Addington
Southland Harness Awards Two-Year-Old Colt or Gelding of the Year: You’re So Fine – MCC Syndicate then from 8th June 2021 Mrs BV Richardson, MCC Syndicate and GL Moore – Trainer Brett Gray.
You’re So Fine
Southern Standardbred Breeders Fast Mile Rate Filly/Mare: Yankee Party 1-53.7 – Wairio 19th December 2021 – Owners FJ and KV Price – Trainers: John and Katrina Price.
Robin Dundee Club Three-Year-Old Filly of the Year: Tac Mac (C R Dixon, Mrs A M Barron-Dixon, D J Orr, Mrs J M Orr, M A Tempelman, L Tempelman, P F Forde, J G Wilks) – Trainer: Brent Shirley.
Robin Dundee Club Three-Year-Old Colt or Gelding of the Year: Ragazzo Mach (NB Cleaver) – Trainer: Nathan Williamson.
Southland Trainers and Drivers Awards:
Trainer of the Year: Nathan Williamson (48 wins).
Driver of the Year: Nathan Williamson (82 wins).
Junior Driver of the Year: Ellie Barron (14 wins).
Trotting Driver of the Year: Nathan Williamson (26).
Caduceus Club of Southland Trotter of the Year: Tweedledee – Owner: JR Bond – Trainer: Lyndon Bond.
1-58.0 Pins (Pacers) and 2-00.0 Pins Trotters:
- Arden Messi (John Stiven) – 11/09/20-NZ Metro- 57.6.
- Braeview Kelly (Paul Pearce) – 25/10/20-Tuapeka-54.8 .
- Chablis (Syd Brown) -28/05/21 – Auckland-57.7.
- Gayle Force (Tim Grant) -12/11/20 – Ashburton-54.7.
- Hampton (Wayne McEwan) – 29/10/20 – Invercargill-57.5.
- I’mallaboutthebase (Steve Baucke) -27/11/20 – NZ Metro-57.8.
- Mach’s Back (Murray Little) -17/04/21-Wairio – 57.8.
- Miss Auckland (Owen Lawrence) -21/02/21 – Winton-54.3.
- Nota Bene Denario (Robert Symon) -03/09/20 – Invercargill-57.9.
- Outamyway (Trotter) (Peter Williams)-02/10/2020 – NZ Metro-1-59.9.
- Rakarippa (Brendan Fahy) -31/12/20 – Winton-55.4.
- Rough and Ready (Robert Symon) -28/05/21 – Auckland-56.7.
- Sassy’s VC (Marty Fairbairn) -04/03/21 – Riverton-56.6.
- Sentry (Ian Bennett) -10/10/20- Northern Southland –57.9 and 15/10/20 – Wairio-1.55.5.
- Smokin Annie (Paul Hailes) – 11/06/2021-NZ Metro – 1-57.9.
- Smokin Bandar (Trotter) (Tom Kilkelly) – 07/02/2021 – Winton – 1-57.5.
- Suzie Rocks (Noddy Orr) – 25/06/21-NZ Metro –55.9.
- Sweet Lizzie (Tim Grant) -20/08/20-Winton -1.56.1 and 10/12/20-Winton –57.5.
- Swell Time (Steve Baucke) – 06/08/20 -Invercargill-55.6, 15/11/20-Winton 1.56.1 and 27/11/20-NZ Metro-1.56.6.
- Tenzing Bromac (Wayne McEwan) – 05/03/21 – NZ Metro-56.7.
- The Maroon Marauder (Ray Knight)- 13/11/20 – NZ Metro-55.1.
- Town Echo (Stu Gillan) -28/05/21-NZ Metro – 57.2 and 20/06/21 -NZ Metro-1.57.5.
- Tres Chic (Stu Gillan) -21/05/21-NZ Metro – 56.3 and 07/02/21-Winton –1.57.9.
- Yankee Party (John and Katrina Price) -19/12/2020-Wairio –1-53.7.
Congratulations to all the entries and winners!
The winners will be acknowledged at upcoming Southern race meetings.
We thank you all for your understanding and hope to see you on course soon.
Southland Harness Awards Committee.