Southland Harness Awards (2)
27th September 2020
The Southland Harness Awards for the 2019/20 season were presented last night but without the usual accolades provided by a live audience. The usual ceremony dinner at Ascot Park Hotel was cancelled due to the impact of Covid 19 and the awards were presented by Nicole Elliot on the Southland Harness Facebook Page instead.
Franco Santino – Photo Bruce Stewart
Southland Harness Horse of the Year:
Owned by Neville Cleaver and trained by Nathan Williamson Christian Cullen entire Franco Santino was crowned Southland Harness Horse of the Year. He was the province’s leading stakes winner with $32,930. He won three races and his three placings included a second in the Group Three Invercargill Cup.
Franco Santino winning at Winton – Photo Bruce Stewart
Southland Broodmare of the Year:
Chiola Cola mare Delcola owned by Ian Hunter was named Southland Broodmare of the Year.
She’s the dam of Splash Cola which won three races last season from seven starts. One of her wins was in the Group Three Summer Trotting FFA in which she broke a New Zealand record. Another of Delcola’s progeny Delson won twice in eight starts while her latest race winner Andy Hall also won twice from just four starts.
Splash Cola – Photo Bruce Stewart
Southland Achievement Awards 2019-2020
As well as being names asSouthland’s leading Junior Driver Ellie Barron also picked up the Southland Harness Achievement of the Year Award. Ellie was the province’s ambassador for the Teal Appeal and on January 3rd at Omakau Barron played a pivotal part in saving Ricky May’s life. May collapsed in the sulky and fell to the track when driving A. G. White Socks in the Central Otago Cup at Omakau. Ellie Barron administered CPR until the paramedics took over.
Ellie Barron – Photo Bruce Stewart
Southland Trotter of the Year and Contribution Awards:
The Caduceus Club of Southland Trotter of the Year Award was won by the Lyndon Bond trained Crusher Collin while Dave McDonald was presented with a Contribution to Southland Harness Racing Award.
Crusher Collins – Photo Bruce Stewart
- Two Year old Colt or Gelding of the Year: Major Punter
- Three Year Old Filly of the Year: Renegade Rose
- Three Year Old Colt or Gelding of the Year: See Ya Write
- Group Certificates: Amazing Dream (Vin and Daphne Devery) and Splash Cola (Ian Hunter).
- Leading Southland Trainer: Nathan Williamson
- Leading Southland Driver: Nathan Williamson
- Leading Southland Junior Driver: Ellie Barron
- Leading Driver of Trotters in Southland: Nathan Williamson
- Elite Broodmare Award: Chicago Blues
- Leading Two Year Old Stakes Earning Filly of the Year: Braeview Kelly
- Leading Three Year Old Stakes Earning Filly of the Year: Watch Me Now
- Leading All Age Mare of the Year: Crusher Collins
- Fastest Winning Mile Time in Southland: Watch Me Now
- New Zealand Record Holders: Pres The Belle, Paramount King and Splash Cola.
Watch Me Now – Photo Bruce Stewart
- Two Minute pins were awarded to the owners of the following horses: Allaboutjoy, Arden’s Reality, Ball Of Art, Italian Lad, Lagertha, Lite Percussion, Maidonthebeach, Major Watson, Pearl Harbour, The Paua Diver, Paramount King and Splash Cola.
Lite Percussion – Photo Bruce Stewart