The Early Ending Season Review
(9th April 2020)
With the Southern Harness Season pretty much over due to the impact of Covid-19, a review of track records and leading stake earners is earlier than usual.
The highest stakes earner in the province this season was the Nathan Williamson trained Franco Santino which banked $32,450. Two other Williamson trained horses, Triroyale Brigade ($32,125 – pictured above) and Pembrook Playboy ($32,100) were the province’s second and third highest stake earners for the season.
Southland’s leading stake earner for the 2019-2020 season Franco Santino
The leading stakes earning trotter in Southland this season was Crusher Collin earning his connections $24,350.
Southland’s leading trotter Crusher Collins
In the three year old pacing category Pembrook Playboy ($32,100) was the highest earning colt or gelding while Watch Me Now took out the three year old fillies category with $22,470.
Leading three year old pacer Pembrook Playboy
Leading three year old filly Watch Me Now
Sweet Lizzie trained by Tony Stratford was the highest earning two year old in the province with $6,500.
On the track record front the Central Southland Raceway at Winton recorded four new track and Southland records for the season.
- Vintage Cheddar (2400 metre stand for 4 year old and older pacing entires and geldings) 2-56.8 -21/12/2019. Also a Southland record.
Vintage Cheddar winning the Wairio Cup in track and Southland record time
- Cracker Hill (1609 metre mobile three year old trotting colts and geldings) 1-58.9 18/12/2019 – also a Southland record.
- Cracker Hill (2400 metre stand three year old trotting colts and geldings) 3-03.1 21/12/2019 – also a Southland record.
Cracker Hill breaking one of two records in the 2019 – 2020 season
- Superfast Pat (2400 metre mobile four year old and older trotting entires and geldings) 2-56.6 31/12/2019. This was also a New Zealand and Southland record.
Superfast Pat breaking a track, Southland and New Zealand record
- Invercargill’s Ascot Park was the home to five new track records.
- Cranbourne (1700 metres mobile three year old pacing colts and geldings) 2-01.8 1/03/2020 – also a Southland record.
- Ariella (2200 metre mobile two year old pacing fillies) 2-41.3 7/03/2020 – also a Southland record.
Ariella breaking a two year old fillies record at Ascot Park
- Tailored Elegance (2200 metre three year old trotting fillies) 2-44.2 7/03/2020 – also a new Southland record.
Tailored Elegance winning the Southland Trotting Oaks
- Pres The Belle (2700 metre stand for trotting mares) 3-24.0 7/3/2020 – a new All-Comers record for the course and a Southland record.
Pres The Belle breaking a track and Southland record
The Young Quinn Raceway in Wyndham recorded two new course records.
- Heisenburg (2400 metre mobile for four year old and older pacing entires and geldings) 2-52.4 16/01/2019 – also a new Southland and New Zealand record.
Heisenburg returning after break a track and Southland record at Wyndham
- Ruby Seddon (2400 metre mobile for four year old and older trotting mares) 3-05.3 15/3/2020.